Rick Ostrove is principal trial counsel for Leeds Brown Law, P.C. Rick has won numerous jury verdicts including a $15M verdict in a sexual harassment case, one of the highest awards to an individual plaintiff in an employment discrimination case in the history of New York State. During the same year, he obtained a $5.25M award for a client in a workplace retaliation claim. On three occasions, Rick has appeared in Verdict Search’s publication Top New York Verdicts. In 2013, Rick was recognized by the Labor and Employment Law Committee of the Nassau County Bar Association for having “the highest level of character, integrity, professional expertise and leadership in the filed of labor and employment law.” Rick has been honored each year from 2010-13 by the New York Times Magazine as a “Super Lawyer.”
Although his primary practice areas are employment and civil rights law, Rick has extensive experience handling complex civil litigation, including commercial, estate, and matrimonial litigations. As lead trial counsel in a federal trademark dispute, he managed more than a dozen lawyers from four separate law firms; the action involved over fifty deposed witnesses and approximately twenty expert reports.
Rick was lead trial counsel in Quinn v. Nassau County, the first case where a court held that workplace harassment of a municipal employee based on sexual orientation violates the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. In a separate case, Manning v. Nassau County, he used this theory to obtain a $1.5M emotional damage verdict.
Rick frequently appears as a speaker on issues involving civil rights. He has appeared on The O’Reilly Factor, Court TV, and other media outlets. One of his trial victories that garnered national attention was featured on ABC’s 20/20. He has lectured about employment law and trial advocacy at continuing legal education classes hosted by the New York City, Nassau County, and the Suffolk County Bar Associations.
Rick is the former Chairperson of the Nassau County Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law committee. He is admitted to practice in all New York State and Federal Courts as well as the United States Supreme Court, and he has successfully argued a number of appeals to the Second Circuit.
Rick joined Leeds Brown Law’s predecessor firm in 1996 and became a partner in 2000. Rick graduated seventh in his class from Hofstra University School of Law, where he was a member of the Hofstra Law Review. Rick holds a Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Business Administration from the University at Albany, where he graduated cum laude.
Year Joined Organization:
Areas of Practice:
- Employment Discrimination Law
- Employment Law / Employee/Employer / Disability Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment / Racial Discrimination / Religious, Sexual & Age Discrimination
- Commercial Litigation
- Divorce / Family Law / Child Support / Child Custody / Domestic Partnerships
- Probate Administration / Contested & Uncontested Estates / Wills / Trusts
- Prevailing Wage / City / State / Federal
- Criminal / DUI / DWI / Federal / State / Traffic / White Collar Crimes
- New York
- U.S.Supreme Court
- Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, New York
Law Review: Hofstra Review, Member
- University of Albany
Bachelor’s Degree of Science
Honors: Cum Laude
Major: Business Administration
- Employment Law,Nassau Law Journal
- Quinn v. Nassau County
- Manning v. Nassau County
Classes / Seminars Taught:
- Speaker, Civil Rights Issues
- Lectured, Employment Law, Nassau County Bar Association
- Lectured, Employment Law, Suffolk County Bar Association
- Lectured, Employment Law, New York City Bar Association
- Lectured, Annual Convention of Gender Pac
- Lectured, Employment Practices Liability Insurance, American Conference Institutes
- Lectured, Employment Practices Liability Insurance, Chubb Insurance Company
- Lectured, Employment Practices Liability Insurance, The Greens’ Men’s Club
- Lectured, Employment Practices Liability Insurance, Eastern-Suffolk BOCES
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Nassau County Bar Association
Vice Chairperson, Labor and Employment Law Committee
- National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)